Posture & Back Pain
The Feldenkrais Method provides a unique and effective approach for preventing back pain, improving posture, and maintaining healthy bio-mechanical functioning.
Lessons can also assist with recovery following injuries or operations (hip joint replacement etc.), and help you to get the most out of exercise or physical rehabilitation programmes.
Instead of using muscle strengthening/stretching exercises or mechanical force to bring about change, Feldenkrais uses sensory-motor learning and practical awareness skills to re-organise the brain’s habitual patterns of neuro-muscular activity.
Working with the brain’s inherent ability to change and adapt with experience (neuro-plasticity), each individual can learn to recognise and adjust unconscious, counter-productive patterns of muscular activity that lead to limitation or strain.
- Improved flexibility, and balanced muscle tone throughout the whole body.
- Increased connections to, and ability to use, core areas of support (pelvis and trunk).
- Self-adjusting from counter-productive postural states (tight neck & shoulders, jaw tension, ‘poke’ head, etc) towards dynamic poise.
- Improved co-ordination and balance, and greater body confidence.
- Finding and using internal support from your skeletal structure.
- Self-care strategies for moving and resting without discomfort.
- Improved ease of breathing.